last update: February 22, 2021 4:00 pm
UBC Science Co-op is welcoming Summer 2021 recruitment requests and program requirements have been changed to adapt to employer hiring needs. Multiple co-op wage subsidies provided by provincial and federal governments are now available.
Co-op work terms may now be applied to positions that:
- have flexible start dates/durations (minimum of 420 hours in total)
*Positions that are less than the 420 hours minimum may be reviewed on a case by case basis
- be conducted remotely or in-person (must follow Public Health and WorkSafe BC guidelines).
Thank you for your support during this challenging period. We are committed to assisting our students and employers through this unprecedented time. Please review the resources below and contact us should you have any questions.
Winter (January to April) 2021 Work Term
Most employers have asked the students to work from home or modify their work schedule to accommodate for social distancing. We thank the employers for their flexibility in allowing for different types of work. Those students will continue on with the rest of this work term as usual.
For students who continue to commute to work, we want to ensure the health and safety of our students. Students should have a choice of:
- Continuing to commute to work, or
- Making the request to work from home (WFH), whether part-time work in-person or an unpaid leave until the situation improves (e.g. when the health authorities determine that there is no need for social distancing), or
- Terminating their work term with no negative impact on the student’s co-op standing for their current work term. They have fulfilled the minimum Co-op requirement and will receive a standing of P for their Co-op course with satisfaction evaluation from their Co-op employer.
We have asked those students who wish to consider Option 2 to discuss it with their supervisors and inform their Co-op coordinator. If a mutually satisfactory agreement can be reached, then all is well and good. If not, then the student may exercise Option 3. The student’s coordinator will be in contact with you to help in any way possible.
Thank you for supporting our students and our program. We greatly value our partnership and the Science Co-op team is always here to assist you in any way we can. If you need assistance from the Co-op office, please e-mail your student’s coordinator or e-mail Dr. Javed Iqbal at email@example.com.