Hiring a Co-op student is one of the most effective means for employers across many sectors to identify and acquire key talent.
UBC Science Co-op provides Canadian and international employers with access to qualified and motivated third- and fourth-year UBC Science students. Since 1980, we've helped thousands of employers find students to work at their organizations.
Here are some advantages to hiring a student from UBC Science Co-op:
- High Quality Talent. Our students are educated (have at least 1 year of relevant science education completed), pre-selected (have high academic standing), ready to work (have work permits), and offer organizations their fresh perspectives and energy.
- Continuous Placement. UBC Science Co-op students are available each term, meaning you can have a student in a position year-round, year after year.
- Save Money on Recruiting. Hiring a UBC Science Co-op student can allow you to save time on your recruitment efforts by exposing you to good potential full-time employee and/or graduate student candidates on a continuous basis.
- We Make it Easy for Employers. Our Business development team is committed to providing the highest levels of prompt and personalized service. Try us!
- Connects employers with well-suited, pre-selected students capable of offering a benefit at a workplace
- Has a team in place to assist employers and students to ensure successful work terms
- Prepares students for the working world through on-campus workshops and one-on-one coaching before their first work term and throughout the 5-year Co-op program
- Pre-selected 3rd/4th year undergraduate Science students who have sound academic standing, growing amounts of research/work/volunteer experience, and a balanced lifestyle (many participate in extra-curricular activities).
- Students are available on a Continuous Placement Model: employers hire on a first-come, first-served basis. Employers start posting jobs January 1, May 1, and September 1, and hiring commences soon after that for the next term.
To hire UBC Science Co-op students, employers need to create work placements (similar to internship positions) that are:
- Full-time (35-40 hours per week)
- Paid. Employers fund the positions – read guidelines and find grants on Salaries + Funding
- 3 to 16 months long. Employers can create work terms ranging in length from 3 to 16 months long, stretching out in 3-4 month continuous increments. Most work placements are 4 months long. Work terms start in early January, early May and/or early September. We always have students available to hire at these times
We encourage employers to maintain co-op positions year after year. This brings your workplace a continuous flow of new knowledge and perspective, while also affirming (to your clients and staff) that your workplace values learning and giving back to its profession.
- We welcome employers anywhere in BC, Canada, and across the world
- The hiring process is not complicated
- Employers and students both benefit with this international exchange of knowledge and experience. Receive help through this process from UBC Science Co-op Team
- Read more on International Employers